By Brad Cook
No matter where you are, simply pull out your iPod and whisk yourself away to Beverly Hills, or Monte Carlo, or even Dubai, where youll compete in a few high-stakes races with one of 10 cars and motorcycles. Use a few well-timed nitro boosts to pick up speed during the contests. Between races, upgrade your ride and win the affection of girlfriends who offer various competitive edges.
While racing, watch the WANTED meter and keep your eyes peeled for the police when it fills, because all that high-speed driving will attract their attention. And thats when the rubber hits the road: if the police apprehend you, youll lose ground in the race and see your hard-earned reputation take a hit.
Your New Career
Select Instant Race if you just want a quick contest, but Career mode is where youll find the white-knuckle excitement. Travel to seven different cities around the world and compete in six types of racing challenges:
- Normal: Your basic race. Finish in the top three to complete it.
- Beat em All: Take out as many other cars as possible. Bonus points for eliminating the police too.
- Cop Chase: Your goal is to catch the leader. Ignore all other drivers or suffer financial penalties.
- Duel: Pass your opponent and finish in first place. The size of your pre-race bet dictates how aggressively the police will pursue you.
- Time Attack: Finish the race within a certain time limit, but watch out for those blocks in the road: each one you hit adds a second to your final time.
- Drift: Show everyone how to drift through turns.
Each challenge you successfully complete earns money toward upgrading your vehicles engine, suspension, brakes, nitro capability, and other attributes. You can also spend some cash to buy another of Asphalt 4s ten unlockable vehicles:
- Mini Cooper S: The slowest, least powerful car, but its a good starter.
- Nissan GT-R: Its top speed and horsepower, along with its quick acceleration, place it in the top tier, just below the Corvette.
- BMW M-3: Its a notch below the GT-R, but its a competitive ride.
- Corvette ZR-1: The second-best car in the game.
- Aston Martin DBS: Its high-end speed isnt quite on par with the Ferrari Spider, Nissan GT-R, and Ruf RGT, but it packs more horsepower under the hood.
- Ruf RGT: It has the edge over the other top-tier cars by virtue of its fastest jump off the starting line, although it lags a little behind the Corvette in top speed and horsepower.
- Ferrari S430 Spider: Comparable to the GT-R but slower off the starting line.
- Bugatti Veyron: Get behind the wheel of this elite sports car and youre driving the cream of the crop: the highest top speed, the most horsepower, and the quickest acceleration from a stopped position. If you earn this one, youre a racing VIP.
- Ducati M696: A good starter bike.
- Ducati 1098: This motorcycle blows away the M696 in every category.
During races, scoop up nitro boosts to refill the meter, which also replenishes every time you make a sharp turn or commit an illegal act, such as smashing a civilian car. Dont forget to drive through all those dollar signs you also see in the road and scoop up cash bonuses. In addition, youll earn extra money if a helicopter appears overhead, because that means your antics have attracted the attention of the local news media. Unfortunately, the police wont be far behind, so pick up the badges that occasionally appear to clear your WANTED meter.
Complete races to access higher levels and unlock new cities. Youll also get the chance to woo girlfriends who increase your top speed, fill your nitro meter at the start of each race, and more. With them at your side, youll become a racing VIP and finish your tour of the world.
Tips and Tricks
- Counter-steer (turn the wheel opposite your cars direction) to get better control while drifting.
- You have a limit of three active nitro boosts at a time.
- When the race starts, hold the boost button for extra nitro.
- While driving with relative controls, which require you to sweep your finger across the click wheel to steer, watch the red line on the steering wheel when you press the nitro button (Select). After pressing boost, put your finger back on the click wheel in a position relative to that red line. If you dont, you may find yourself turning or going straight when youd rather not.
iPod Games FAQ
Do you have questions regarding any of the iPod games available from the iTunes Store?
More iPod Games
- Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or Windows 2000
- iPod nano (3rd and 4th generation only), iPod classic, or iPod (5th generation only). Not playable on your computer, other iPod models, iPod touch or iPhone. Please check which iPod model you have.
- iTunes 7.5 or higher required to download (games cannot be played in iTunes)