By Brad Cook
Asked what made the Pirates of the Caribbean film trilogy such a success, Terry Rossio, who co-wrote the movies with Ted Elliott, replies: Complexity of story, complex characters and a sense of history and myth created for audiences a vivid world that was fun to visit, and audiences felt rewarded the more they chose to explore that world.
Now you can not only explore that world through the movies on your iPod, but you can also experience a new aspect of it in the game Pirates of the Caribbean: Aegirs Fire. Sail to the Caribbean, Europe, the Maldives, Africa, and Hawaii as you search for the five daughters of Aegir, who rules the seas. Only some of the games 30 quests bestow one of the daughters on you as a reward, but all of them earn you doubloons to spend on more powerful cannonballs and better ships.
As you begin your journey, youre told: Youve known vessels and friends alike swallowed up by Aegirs mythical fire. He is at war with the high seas, and its time to exact revenge! Later, the enigmatic Tia Dalma says while issuing a quest: All de riches of de sea will reveal themselves when de daughters unite. Complete your tasks and uncover the mystery of Aegirs fire.
The Tools of Your Trade
You start your adventure at the controls of a basic cutlass, but you can soon unlock and upgrade to better ships including the infamous Black Pearl as well as more powerful ammunition, such as cannonballs that inflict residual damage through fires or plague. Defeat other ships that cross your path to harvest their riches, but watch out for storms and whirlpools that may appear at any time. And beware of the vicious Kraken, which can be stunned but never killed.
Youll have help along the way, though. Each port you visit offers a quest as well as a chance to recruit three crew members who feature unique skills. For example, Jack Sparrow gives you a better chance of discovering random loot and Joshamee Gibbs increases your ships speed. Hector Barbosa enhances your steering while Schuyler grants better aim.
You can swap out crew members and switch to a different ship at each port, allowing you to figure out the best combination for the current quest, which might require you to escort a vessel to safety, find an object for someone, destroy a certain number of enemy ships, or rescue a character in distress.
So is the pirates life one for you? Raise your anchor and find out.
A Pirates Life For Disney
The Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland opened in 1967 and became an instant classic. Learn more about its history, including its recent incarnation as the massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Pirates of the Caribbean Online.
Heavy Metal to Prove Your Mettle
- Iron: These inflict the least amount of damage possible, but you have an endless supply of them.
- Copper: Theyre a step up from iron, but they dont come with any residual effects.
- Gold: This heavy cannonball packs a serious whallop.
- Fire: The cheapest of the special cannonballs, this ones initial impact is on the same level as iron, but it starts a fire that inflicts additional damage over the next few seconds.
- Frag: This one explodes into fragments that cause collateral damage to nearby ships.
- Freeze: Temporarily stun your opponents when you hit them with this one. The initial damage is the lowest of all the cannonballs you can buy, although its perfect for fending off the Kraken and getting away.
- Ghost: This magical cannonball blasts right through shields.
- Atomic: Fire this one into an opponents hull and youll cause a blast radius that also hits nearby vessels.
- Plague: This one packs as much initial damage as the atomic cannonball but adds repeated effects to your victim, as well as nearby ships.
- Barrel: Drop a few of these in the water and see what happens when another vessel gets too close. These powder kegs pack the most initial damage of any weapon.
iPod Games FAQ
Do you have questions regarding any of the iPod games available from the iTunes Store?
More iPod Games
- Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or Windows 2000
- iPod nano (3rd and 4th generation only), iPod classic, or iPod (5th generation only). Not playable on your computer, other iPod models, iPod touch or iPhone. Please check which iPod model you have.
- iTunes 7.5 or higher required to download (games cannot be played in iTunes)